Theyyam Photography Tour ( 25th December – 28th December, 2019)
Organiser : FOTORBIT ( www.fotorbit.com)
Tour Mentor : Tania Chatterjee ( www.taniachatterjee.com)
Contact : +91-8420124417 ( WhatsApp)
Email : [email protected]
Theyyam is an ancient folk art form of north Malabar region of Kerala, India. It is living culture of Kerala which can be traced back to several thousand years of rich tradition. It is elaborate combination of dance, music, mime and passionate devotion. There are over 400 different Theyyams and each has its own music, costume, make up and dance style.
Theyyam artists spend years in learning the dancing skills and other delicate parts of the tradition like from how to make costumes to the delicate art of face painting. In the weeks leading up to a ritual, this dancer lived a life of purity. He consumed no non-vegetarian food or alcohol, nor did he lie or speak bad words to others.
Theyyam performers wear heavy make-up, jewelry and very colourful costumes. The headgear, face painting, ornaments, dresses are truly majestic and create a larger than life impact on viewers. Local people consider Theyyam artists as God and seek blessings from them after the performance. These rituals can go on for hours, depending on how long it takes for the artist to enter a trance as he dances and spins to the drums.
Day 1 ( 25th December, 2019) : Arrival at Kannur by afternoon. Pick up from Kannur International Airport and transfer to the accommodation for check-in and get fresh. We will have a tour briefing session at evening. There is high probability that we may also have some Theyyams scheduled at night at same day, in that case we will start shooting right from same day late evening / night.
NOTE : Different types of Theyyams are performed in different temples at different intervals on the same day. Usually night Theyyams takes place between 6pm-12pm and 3am-6am . Morning Theyyam starts at 6am and sometime continue day long. Be prepared for an unpredictable shooting schedule and sleep.
Day 2 , 3 and 4th Morning (26th, 27th and 28th December) : Depending on festival schedule and preference, we will decide Theyyam festival location and shoot. We will try to make the best out of this unique Theyyam experience for you !
On one of the evenings ( either 26th/27th evening), we will arrange an exclusive Kalaripayuttu photography session ( an unique martial art dance performance of Kerela ) on a beach-side location.
TOUR COST : Rs. 18,000 for Indian ( double sharing accommodation)
COST INCLUDES :
- Pick-up from Kannur International Airport and drop
- All meals ( starting from 25th December 2019 Lunch to 28th December 2019 breakfast)
- All local transport to the shooting locations
- Local Tour Guide’s fee
- Arrangement of Kalaripayuttu Dance performance
- Mentor’s guidance fee for the entire tour
COST DOES NOT INCLUDES :
- Travel from your location to Kannur, Kerela
- Additional water bottle , snacks and beverage
- Tips and other personal expenses
- Anything that is not in “ INCLUDE” list
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
- If you cancel your registration, then you will be refunded according to the following schedule, based on the full fee of the Workshop:
- 45 days or more: 75% refund
- 30 days or more: 50% refund
- Less than 30 days to 15days : 25% refund
- Less than 15 days : Non –refundable
OUR LIABILITIES AND LIMITATIONS :
- All itineraries are sample itineraries, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, local political situations, the physical ability of the participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before the tour or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change any schedule in the interest of the trip participants’ safety, comfort & general well being.
- FOTORBIT shall not be responsible for any delays & alterations in the programme or expenses incurred – directly or indirectly – due to natural hazards, flight cancellations, train delay, accidents, breakdown of transport, weather, sickness, road blockages, political closures or any troublesome incidents.
- FOTORBIT shall not be responsible for any loss, injury or damage to person, property, or otherwise in connection with any accommodation, transportation or other services, resulting – directly or indirectly – from any act of GOD, dangers, fire, accident, breakdown in machinery or equipment, breakdown of transport, wars, civil disturbances, strikes, riots, thefts, pilferages, epidemics, medical or custom department regulations, defaults, or any other causes beyond our control.
- FOTORBIT do not have any insurance policy covering the expenses for accident, sickness, loss due to theft, or any other reasons. All baggage, camera, other gears & personal property/s at all times are at the client’s risk.